Well-Wishing

This page is for site visitors to post remembrances and thoughts at the time of Dr. Pournelle’s passing (8 Sep 2017).  Your thoughts can be added using the form at the bottom of this page. Comments that are not related to words of encouragement or condolences will be removed.

Dr. Pournelle’s family appreciates those that have taken the time to send condolences and well wishes.

For those that are interested in Dr. Pournelle’s books, please see the e-books page or the Amazon page at http://amzn.to/2xliy73 . Here’s a list of All The Books.

Vox Day has announced that as part of a memorial the first volume of ‘There Will Be War’ will be free on Kindle for three days (starting 10 Sep 2017). See here: http://amzn.to/2famw7N.

Jerry’s family added the following today (14 Sep 2017):

We are still making plans for a live stream of Jerry’s service. Details to follow.

In lieu of flowers or other memorials, please consider making a donation to the SFWA Emergency Medical Fund, covering genre writers who need assistance. Start here: https://membership.sfwa.org/page-308450 .

Jerry’s last post is here. – Editor

1,175 Responses to Well-Wishing

1. Rod Wittler says:

He helped me make sense of things. Many things. Thank you.

2. Vladimir Chern says:

Good Bye, Jerry!

You have never knew me. But you always were with me through the decades of my American life.

You helped me when I arrived to American Shores, struggled with software issues, and have read your articles in Byte magazine.

You introduced me to new friends, the heroes of your novels, and series.

You taught me always go forward, and not be afraid of temporary disabilities. Always be aware of everything in the World. And be curious of new things.

I will miss you, but would meet with your ideas, and thoughts rereading your books and posts thousand times.

Thank you. We will certainly meet again.

3. Harry Rowe says:

My deepest condolences. I subscribed and read every column in Byte Magazine and always looked forward to each delivery. The good old days of computing. Jerry will be sadly missed.

4. Larry Zeh says:

Having read Jerry’s books since the early 70’s, at least, and remembering our interactions on GENIE (although I admit I didn’t follow him online again until about 6 years ago) I miss his wisdom and insights more than I can say. I still return to the site to reread his last post and get a sinking feeling in my heart each time. He will be missed by many and I cannot imagine anyone filling his spot. RIP, Mister Pournelle.

5. Bud Pritchard says:

Chuck Stuart’s idea is excellent.
    It would be hard to continue Jerry’s Chaos Manor as it was an essential part of his day to day ruminations. He was the essential ingredient in the mix of essays and hands-on technology. Very hard to replace.

I think that the continuance of Chaos Manor Reviews would be a better choice. A proper name for a remembrance of his “I do silly things so you don’t have to.”

Again, it has been an incredible journey from the pages of Byte to daily visits to this site.

6. Chuck Stuart says:

John Small, I have also kept coming back – visiting Chaos Manor for a few minutes has been part of my routine for a long time. The older posts are still a font of wisdom and information, and I expect to keep coming back for a long while yet.

If the family chooses to take down this web site at some point, I hope they compile the content into a book. Heinlein’s “Grumbles from the Grave” is still interesting reading, and Dr. Pournelle’s weblog thoughts would sit next to that book comfortably.
    My suggested title would be “Relentless Application of Logic”.

7. John Small says:

Since 9/8, I keep staring at Dr. Pournelle’s last entry, expecting his next post. Reading his daughter’s heart felt eulogy that well illuminates his personality, interests, sense of family and community, I feel his departure.

Now a month later his presence is missed all the more. There will be no more reports, nor more essays and no more correspondence reviews. If all we look learned was the Iron Law that would have been a lot. He taught us so very much more.

Not everyone is replaceable. No one knows this more than his family, his friends and those that shared his interests. We all share a sadness that will not go away. And we are better that we were here with him for a little while.

8. Mark Logan says:

Sad to hear of Jerry’s passing, he and Larry have been a major influence on my reading these many years, I am currently reading Bowl of Heaven by Niven and Benford and since learning of Jerry’s passing Janissaries may be next! Thanks Jerry!

9. John D. Ruley says:

To Alex and the family: I had an on-and-off relationship with Jerry, first as a fan and later as part of the Space Policy group on BIX and – briefly as a collaborator at BYTE. One very fond memory was a hotel room at one of the last Comdex shows where Jerry, Paul Schindler, Daniel Dern and I swapped leads and rewrite each other’s copy together. Jerry was talented and a class act. My late wife used to say that when a tree dies it leaves a hole in the sky. There’s a big one where Jerry used to be. –John Ruley

10. John Davidson says:

Today I was looking for some inspiration and went to the Chaos Manor web site only to find this sad sad news.

I enjoyed Jerry Pournell’s column in Byte so much I would not look at it until I was on my monthly commute to the far east from the US. He made the time awake on a that long flight something to actually look forward to, even when flying coach.

His writing style makes me feel like I am having a conversation with an old friend over a beer.

RIP Dr. Pournelle, I will miss our little talks…

11. Rob G. says:

Thanks sir for the absorbing hours of entertainment I enjoyed during the Janissaries Series. You will always be a Master Writer of stories blending Politics, War, Sociology, and etc. Rick, Tylara, and his Janissaries will carry your greatness on forever.

12. Maurizio Laffi, Italy says:

I really appreciated Mr. Pournelle’s colums on Byte Magazine, his clear writing and briliant intelligence.
    Many people will feel a sense of vacuum. as I do.
    Sincere condolences to the family.

13. Porkypine says:

In fond memory of Jerry (and of Walt Kelly)

” Look out! Friday the thirteenth comes on FRIDAY this month!”

14. Bernie Black says:

Loved THE MOTE IN GOD’S EYE, THE GRIPPING HAND, THE LEGACY OF HEROT. Thanks.

15. Dale Snyder says:

My sincerest condolences to the family

I will greatly miss the breath of fresh air from his postings on Chaos Manor as we try to live through the “crazy years”!

Thank you Sir for sharing your insights!